Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Derek Purdie

Hi, my name is Derek Purdie but I go by Derek Cook. I live in Lewis Center but I wasn't born in the U.S, I was born in Britain. I have 2 younger sisters and one younger brother, as well as a half brother living in Scotland. I went to Olentangy Orange High School and now I'm here at Ohio State Marion but I'm undecided on my major.

For the first assignment we were told to write a poem about a close friend and to write about memories we have of that person. I instantly thought about my best friend and girlfriend Melissa, so I knew this wouldn't be too tough of an assignment. However, when I started to write, I often drew a blank on what to actually write down. I have endless memories with Melissa but I knew I couldn't just write everything down; it had to have some kind of meaning. I enjoyed the assignment overall because it was a good topic and I was writing about someone that means a lot to me. I feel like the poem started out well but towards the end I ran out of ideas. Poems are hard to write!



Nowhere I would rather be

Her eyes are those of a billion jewels facing the sun.
We’re shivering with cold,
but her company keeps me warm.
There’s no outside world when we’re together,
it’s just us.
There must be 10,000 other people at the light show;
we take no knowledge of them even existing.
She takes my hand and grips it as if she never wants us to split.
I like the comfort.

Through high’s and low’s, we’re there for one another.
Together every day but never tired of each others’ faces.
To have someone so precious,
so caring,
so perfect,
makes me an extremely lucky guy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi derek cook my name is Mitch Marotti.That is very interesting that you were born in Britain. I like you poem a lot. I like you idea that poems are hard to write. It was very challening for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Jake Gabbert. That's really cool that you were born in Britain. Your poem was very well written, and that it was about somebody that means a lot to you. We don't get much practice with poems so they can be hard to write sometimes.

    ReplyDelete